Revised/Updated: July 20, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
Effective: Monday, March 16, 2020
- At 1:00 pm Tuesday March 17th, 2020 the Municipality of Thames Centre declared State of Emergency.
- We will continue to monitor the situation closely and communicate any changes as they occur.
- For the Municipality of Thames Centre, the health and well being of our community is our primary concern in order to help prevent the spread of COVID-1. For more information regarding all facilities, please see daily updates listed below:
Municipal Services Update
For more information on each service, please click on the title.
Municipal Office: OPEN - 1 person limit
- The municipal office is open to the public from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. beginning on Monday, July 20, 2020.
- Anyone attending the Thames Centre Municipal Office must wear a protective face mask.
- Municipal office staff are working staggered schedules and encouraging the use of technology to continue to provide services at this time. If something is of urgent nature, or you wish to book an appointment please contact the main office at 519-268-7334 or email@example.com.
Building Department: REVISED
BUILDING DEPARTMENT UPDATE
We ask that no person be onsite with the inspector at the time of inspection. All persons will need to vacate the site prior to, and remain off site until inspection is completed. All sites must be kept in a state of good housekeeping, and social distancing outside of buildings under construction must be maintained.
Prescribed inspections are listed on your building permit under the ‘Stages of Construction Requiring Notice’. These inspections are required to be conducted by the Municipality of Thames Centre Building Department and notice is required to be given to the Building Department prior to each inspection as prescribed by Div.C. 188.8.131.52.(2) of the Ontario Building Code.
Please note that if a required inspection can not be completed, you will not be permitted to carry on past this stage of construction*. Any site that can not have a required inspection completed is not permitted to cover any work. Any work covered WILL be required to be uncovered as per the Ontario Building Code. If this is the case please keep in close contact with our office and the inspector and or Chief Building Official. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
When scheduling an inspection please contact the Municipal office via:
Phone: 519.268.7334 ext. 249 or
Please provide the following information when scheduling an inspection:
* PLEASE NOTE THAT 24 HOUR NOTICE IS REQUIRED FOR ALL INSPECTIONS *
Failure to provide some information above could delay the inspection.
*Order Not to Cover: under the Building Code Act 13(1) an Order Not to Cover can be issued prohibiting the covering or enclosing of any part of the construction.
*Order to Uncover: under the Building Code Act 13(6) an Order to Uncover may be issued if a prescribed inspection is not conducted or an Order to Not Cover is not follow.
Please take this notice as an Unofficial Order Not to Cover.
Applying for a Building Permit:
All permit applications will be accepted and reviewed by our CBO – please be patient as response times may be longer than 2 weeks. Applications will be accepted through the drop box located at the front of our office at 4305 Hamilton Road in Dorchester (please fill out all contact information fields legibly and two copies of plans). Once review has been completed, the applicant will be notified of issuance with all applicable documents and online payment instructions – we also accept cheque upon permit pick-up.
IN NEED OF AN APPOINTMENT?
- In person meetings are available for residents and on a one person basis only.
- If required, please contact one of the emails listed below based on your inquiry.
COVID-19 Safety Protocol: resident must fill out the form attached at the top of the page ‘Inspection Screening Questions’, masks are not mandatory for the appointment but are very much encouraged, washrooms will be unavailable, make sure you are on time for your scheduled appointment, please wait outside the front office door upon arrival where staff will let you in once ready.
We highly encourage the use of the drop-box (located at 4305 Hamilton Road in Dorchester), call/voicemail, and email before inquiring an appointment.
If you have any questions please reach out, we are monitoring our emails and voicemails daily.
Building Department Inquiry Contact Information:
Chief Building Official – Aaron Stewardson – firstname.lastname@example.org
Building Inspector and Bylaw Enforcement Officer – Mauro Castrilli – email@example.com
GIS Technician/ Building Administration – Amanda Storrey – firstname.lastname@example.org
Clerk Services: Licensing
The services of the Municipal Clerk, including marriage licencing, commissioning of oaths and lottery licencing, are limited to residents of Thames Centre and by appointment only.
Council and Committee Meetings
- Municipal Council meetings are subject to cancellation or change during this time. Please see the Council Meeting Page for updates.
Dorchester Union Cemetery: OPEN
- The cemetery is considered an essential service and is still open for interments
- Please call 519-268-7334 ext. 227 or email Tammy Butt to discuss your needs
Dorchester Community Pool and Splash Pads: NEW
- Splash Pads and Wading Pool are now open from 10:00am - 8:00pm. with a limit of 10 people
- The Dorchester Community Pool will remain closed
Environmental Services (Public Works Department)
The FlightExec Centre: OPEN
- The FlightExec Centre is now open. This includes the track, gym (private rentals only), and main washrooms.
- The FlightExec Centre Office is open to the public by appointment only.
Garbage and Recycling Curbside Collection: Collection as Normal
- Thames Centre is now on a weekly garbage and recycling collection schedule
- Your collection day remains the same
Beginning June 15, 2020 all garbage bags set out for curbside collection must have a bag tag attached
- Garbage and Recycling Collection During COVID-19 - Revised
- Oversized Waste Collection Flyer - Revised
- As municipal buildings are now re-opened, we are accepting in-person payments. In-person payments by debit are preferred over payments by cash. Please continue to consider other options for paying your bills remotely, including dropping off a cheque in the deposit box at the municipal office, and paying online through your financial institutions.
- For future bills, please consider signing-up for pre-authorized payments.
- All billings with due dates during the time the municipal office was closed will be due on August 31, 2020.
- Penalties and interest charges will resume beginning September 1, 2020.
- Municipal tenants rents that were not charged during the period of time that the municipal buildings were closed to the public will be charged starting July 20, 2020.
- Water disconnect procedures will resume August 31, 2020.
- The $35 service charge will be reinstated, effective July 20, 2020, for any payments that are returned NSF.
- If you have any questions about your bills, contact our water billing department.
Lawn Care and Landscaping
YES: Lawn cutting and maintenance for safety is allowed
NO: Beautification or aesthetics
Oversized Waste Collection: RESCHEDULED
- The 2020 Annual Oversized Waste Collection has been rescheduled to begin September 14, 2020
- ONLY piles 1 and 2 will be collected during this program
- Pile 3 YARD WASTE will be collected during the Fall Yard Waste Curbside Collection program beginning November, 2020.
- Both Charity Depot have been CANCELLED for 2020
Parks: OPEN with Restrictions
Thames Centre parks and playgrounds are open.
We encourage everyone to practice common sense:
- Please don't visit our parks if you or your children are unwell.
- Please don't congregate in groups or let your children gather in groups.
- Please follow the advice regarding physical distancing, and stay 6 feet away from others:
Government of Ontario: Everyone in Ontario should do their best to avoid close contact with people outside of their immediate families. Close contact includes being within two (2) meters of another person.
- Tennis courts, Pickleball courts and Skateparks are now OPEN with guidelines.
- Soccer Fields and Baseball Diamonds are now OPEN with guidelines and must be booked prior to use.
- If you are concerned about people not respecting physical distancing rules at local parks, do not call 911. The number to contact the OPP for incidents that are non-urgent is 1-888-310-1122.
- The Mill Pond is open, HOWEVER, there are directional signs posted, indicating which way residents should be walking; clockwise.
- Local conservation areas may be closed and/or have reduced hours, etc. Please check with the respective conservation authority for updates before you head out.
- Thames Centre playgrounds are now OPEN.
- If you are concerned about residents/people not respecting physical distancing rules at playground and sports fields, DO NOT call 911. The number to contact the OPP for incidents that are non-urgent is 1-888-310-1122.
Senior Centre: CLOSED
All programs are cancelled until further notice.
Thames Centre Events: Postponed or Cancelled
The following events have been postponed, with new dates to be determined.
- Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast
- Sports Wall of Fame Ceremony are postponed
- Canada Day Celebration
Thorndale Community Centre Demolition
Are You Wondering if Your Buisness is Considered an Essential Service?
Businesses who have questions about closures of at-risk workplaces or how emergency measures impact their business or employment can call the Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659
Help is available from Monday to Sunday, from 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Association of Municipalities Ontario
Dorchester Food Bank – OPEN: By appointment only on a monthly basis. (122 Queens St., Dorchester, 519 268 7872)
The following are providing regular updates related to COVID-19:
Ontario Energy Board
It was recently announced that, to support Ontarians through the rapidly evolving COVID-19 situation, the Government of Ontario issued an Emergency Order under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act. Starting on March 24, 2020, residential and small business customers and farms on time-of-use (TOU) pricing under the OEB’s Regulated Price Plan (RPP) pay 10.1 ¢/kWh no matter what time of day the electricity is consumed.
Energy Board Pricing
Thames Valley District School Board