WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario.
- The licence is valid for use in Ontario only.
- The licence expires 3 months after the date of issuance.
- The cost for a marriage licence is $120.00. Payment can be made by cash or debit.
- In response to the ongoing Covid-19 emergency, electronic applications are now being accepted.
- In response to the ongoing Covid-19 emergency, we are restricting applications to Thames Centre residents, or for Ceremonies taking place in Thames Centre.
- An appointment is required when applying for a marriage licence. Please fill out the application in advance of booking.
A Marriage Licence Application must be completed, including typing the names of both parties in the signature section. We ask that the completed application be submitted by the applicant and/or joint applicant with electronic copies of appropriate supporting documentation by e-mail to email@example.com
You will need two pieces of government-issued identification for both parties to issue a marriage licence:
One piece of identification must include a photo.
- Birth certificate (Including any change of name certificates, if applicable.)
- Valid Passport
- Record of immigrant landing
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Valid Driver's Licence
- Valid Ontario Photo Card
- If one or both of the applicants applying for a Marriage Licence has been divorced and the divorce was granted within Canada, the original or a certified true copy of the Decree of Absolute or Certificate of Divorce is required.
- Divorces granted outside of Canada require Registrar General authorization. Please visit the Service Ontario Website for more information.
- Applicants who are widowed, do not require proof of death of their spouse.
Booking an Appointment
- AN APPOINTMENT IS REQUIRED
- Appointments will be scheduled within 3-5 business days of completing the application.
- With an appointment, if you have the required identification and supporting documentation, it will take approximately 20-30 minutes to process your application and issue the licence.
- You may book an appointment by contacting Alan Bushell
Upon completion of a wedding ceremony, you can apply for your marriage certificate from the Registrar General.
Civil Marriage Ceremony
The Municipality of Thames Centre does NOT conduct civil marriage ceremonies at this time.