WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario.
- The licence is valid for use in Ontario only.
- The licence expires 3 months after the date of issuance.
- The cost for a marriage licence is $120.00. Payment can be made by cash or debit.
- An appointment is required when applying for a marriage licence.
A Marriage Licence Application must be completed and signed by both parties to the marriage. The form must be submitted in person by the applicant and/or joint with the appropriate supporting documentation.
You will need two pieces of government-issued identification for both parties to the marriage:
- One piece of identification must be either a birth certificate OR passport and include your photo
- Record of immigrant landing
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Valid Driver's Licence
- Valid Ontario Photo Card
- If one or both of the applicants applying for a Marriage Licence has been divorced and the divorce was granted within Canada, the original or a certified true copy of the Decree of Absolute or Certificate of Divorce is required.
- Divorces granted outside of Canada require Registrar General authorization. Please visit the Service Ontario Website for more information.
- Applicants who are widowed, do not require proof of death of their spouse.
Booking an Appointment
- AN APPOINTMENT IS REQUIRED.
- Appointments will be scheduled within 3-5 business days of booking
- With an appointment, if you have the required identification and supporting documentation, it will take approximately 20-30 minutes to process your application and issue the licence.
- You may book an appointment by contacting Jenny Wood
Upon completion of a wedding ceremony, you can apply for your marriage certificate from the Registrar General.
Civil Marriage Ceremony
The Municipality of Thames Centre does NOT conduct civil marriage ceremonies at this time.