Municipal Elections


The next municipal election will be held Monday, October 24, 2022.

Municipal elections in Ontario are held every four years and are governed by the Municipal Elections Act. The new term of Council begins on November 15, 2022. 

Are you on the List?

If you are a resident, owner or tenant of property in Ontario, a Canadian citizen, and 18 years of age you can vote in Ontario’s municipal and school board elections.  

By logging into, eligible electors can:

  • confirm or update their electoral information
  • add an elector name to an address, and
  • change school support.

The Voter Look up site is owned and managed by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC), responsible for identifying all potential municipal, school board and District Social Services Administration Board electors.

The voters list is prepared in three steps:

1. A preliminary list is created by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) based on data it keeps on home ownership and tenancy.

2. The preliminary list is sent to the municipal clerk in advance of a regular election which occurs every 4 years as noted above or after a by-election has been called.  The clerk can correct any errors on the list, and the corrected list then becomes the voters' list.

3. Changes can be made to the list.  If you are not on the voters' list or if your information is incorrect (for example, you have moved but your former address is still showing on the list), you may apply to have your name added or to have your information corrected.  This may be done until the close of voting on voting day in a regular election or by-election.  You may have your name added to the voters list at the voting place.  We encourage everyone to bring photo id with them as you will be asked to provide proof of your eligibility to vote in this manner.

Important Dates for the 2022 Election

Nomination Period for Candidates:

May 2, 2022 to August 18, 2022 (8:30am to 4:30pm Mon-Fri, excl. holidays); and

Nomination Day: Friday, August 19, 2022 (9:00am to 2:00pm)
*Nomination packages will be made available in early 2022*

Third Party Advertising Registration Period:

May 2, 2022 to October 21, 2022 (8:30am to 4:30pm)

Preliminary List of Electors Released to the Public:

September 1, 2022

Voting Period for Electors:

Monday, October 17, 2022 at 9:00am to Monday, October 24, 2022 at 8:00pm

Term of New Council:

November 15, 2022 to November 14, 2026

Ending of Campaigns:

Last date for any candidate and third party campaigning: January 3, 2023

Candidate and Third Party Financial Reporting Deadline: March 31, 2023 at 2:00pm

Late Candidate and Third Party Financial Reporting (subject to $500 late filing fee): May 1, 2023 at 2:00pm

Who can Vote in the Elections?
  • 18 years of age or older;
  • a Canadian citizen; and 
  • either a resident of the municipality or a property owner or tenant or the spouse or same sex partner of an owner or tenant in the municipality during a specified time just before the election.
Who can be a Candidate?

To be eligible as a candidate in the Thames Centre municipal election, you must meet the following requirements: 

  • a resident of the municipality or a non-resident owner or tenant of land in the municipality or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant
  • a Canadian citizen and at least 18 years old
  • not legally prohibited from voting and not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.

Election Policies and Procedures 2018 Municipal Election - as amended

Accessibility Plan 2018

Ministry of Municipal Affairs - Municipal Elections

Ministry of Municipal Affairs - Municipal Elections Act Review

Municipal Elections Act, 1996

Ontario Regulation 303/13

Ontario Regulation 101/97

Municipal Act, 2001

Accessible Elections - We want to hear from you!

We welcome your feedback as to how we may improve accessibility for our voters and candidates with disabilities.

The Municipality of Thames Centre has an Accessibility Policy in place.  The 2018 Municipal Election for Thames Centre will be conducted with having regard to the policies as established.

The internet/telephone voting methods provides accessibility as an elector is able to access the voting system from home or from virtually anywhere in the world, through the use of a personal computer, mobile phone or tablet.

The Voter Help Centre will be accessible to electors and candidates with disabilities.

Election Officials will be available for assistance at the Voter Help Centre during the voting period.

Accessibility Feedback Form

2018 Elections

Final Summary of Election Results

Declaration - Candidates Elected

Thames Valley District School Board / London Catholic District School Board Total Certified Results

Conseil Scolaire Viamonde / Conseil Scolaire Catholique Providence Official Statement of Votes


2018 Financial Statements

Alison Warwick

Campaign Life Coalition - Third Party

Chris Patterson

Edmund Lee

Jennifer Coghlin

Kelly Elliott

Marcel Meyer

Paul Hunter

Tom Heeman

Walter Wisotzki


Compliance Audit

Compliance Audit Committee Meetings and Minutes

Meeting Date Meeting Time Meeting Location Agenda Minutes
May 13, 2019 4:00 p.m. Council Chambers Agenda Minutes

This meeting will be held in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 and the Municipality of Thames Centre Compliance Audit Committee Rules of Procedure.


Terms of Reference

Applying for a Compliance Audit

An eligible voter who believes that a candidate or registered third party advertiser has contravened the election campaign finance rules under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 may apply for a compliance audit of their campaign finances. To apply for a compliance audit for a mayoral candidate, councillor candidate or registered third party advertiser:

1. Complete the Compliance Audit Request Form

2. Submit the form and any supporting documents by the deadline indicated below:

  •      In person or by mail to:
  •      The Municipality of Thames Centre
          4305 Hamilton Road
          Dorchester, ON N0L 1G3
  •      Or email to: 

The Municipality must receive the compliance audit application by June 27, 2019.

The Compliance Audit Committee will consider the application and, if granted, will appoint an auditor to audit the campaign finances. The Committee will consider the audit results and decide whether to commence legal action.

The Municipality does not accept compliance audit applications for school board trustee candidates; these must be submitted to the relevant school board directly.

Please check back as we anticipate updates closer to the election.



For Questions Contact: