Open to individuals age 50 or older.
Senior's Centre Schedule- under maintenance, coming soon
Memberships and Renewals
HOW TO JOIN:
- Members must be age 50 or over
- The membership fee is $22.00 (includes GST) per person
- Membership renewal is every January
- If you would like to become a member, please drop by the Lions Senior Centre, attached to the FlightExec Centre during regular office hours, Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Booking the Facility
The Senior's Centre is a great facility to book for Christmas parties, bridal showers and much more. Located on the ground level, this room is perfect for any event.
Please visit the Halls and Meeting Rooms for more information.
Thursday 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Acrylic Painting Lessons
- This new, exciting Program will be instructed by artist Susan Graham.
- These 6 classes will cover different techniques & ways of using acrylic paints with various subject matter. Sometimes you’ll paint on paper, other times on canvas and you’ll also learn about pencil drawing/sketching.
- Thursday at 7:30 p.m.
- There is a lunch served and the evening will only cost you $3.00
- Tuesday 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m
- $2.00 for members/ $4.00 for non-members.
- Bus trips are ran monthly and can be found in the newsletter or by contacting Karen Gress
- This game is similar to lawn bowling but it’s indoors.
- Friday 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- $2.00 for members/ $4.00 for non-members.
- Chair Yoga with certified yoga instructor John Schieven.
- Thursday 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Pay-as-you-go $4.00 members/ $5.25 non-members.
- Benefits of chair yoga: increases circulation, strengthens muscles, increases flexibility, lubricates joints, improves range of motion & mobility, improves balance, eliminates toxins, calms the mind/relaxation and improves concentration.
- Beginner and intermediate computer lessons are available for Windows 10 & MacBook. These classes include instruction on general use of the computer, internet, email etc. Also available are iPad classes.
- Tuesday's - Thursday's at 9:00 a.m.
- $60.00 for members and $70.00 for non-members for a 6 week session (1 hours per class)
Craft Group (Craft and Chat)
- 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. - scheduled periodically
- Participants of this class will make decorations or party favours for the centre events i.e. Hot Meals, Socials etc.
- Instructor: Karen Gress
Digital Camera Lessons
- Learn how to operate your digital camera, download your pictures, crop your photos, etc. Please bring your digital camera, a blank memory card & your USB cord to class with you.
- $60.00 for members/ $70.00 for non-members for a 6 week session.
- You should have some computer knowledge before taking the camera course
- This is a fast-paced, non-competitive fitness program that combines music, movement and drumming. We only have one rule: YOU MUST HAVE FUN! It is guaranteed to leave you smiling, inspired and wanting more!
- This program runs for 8 weeks at a cost of $50.00 for members/ $60.00 for non-members.
- Drum sticks, balls and bases are all provided. Certified DrumFit instructor: Diana Dietrich.
- We encourage participants to sign up for the entire 8 week session.
- Monday 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- 8 week course is $30.00 for members/ $40.00 for non-members or $4.00/$5.25 pay-as-you-go
- Join certified instructor, June Ross
- June leads you through a gentle, invigorating class that will increase your flexibility, build strength and create balance, while reducing stress. The class will end with a guided relaxation.
- Second Wednesday of every month (unless listed otherwise) 12 noon in the Arena Auditorium
- $15.00 for a full course meal including dessert & tea/coffee and entertainment
- Purchase tickets as soon as possible by dropping by the Centre or reserve your tickets by contacting Karen Gress
- Every Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m
- $15 members/ $25 non-members for an 8 week session or pay as you go $3.00 members/ $5.00 non-members
- to learn fun, upbeat line dances. Beginners are welcome to arrive at 8:30 a.m. for some extra instruction on the steps. It’s great exercise.
Learn the skills and rules of the game. Meet in the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 12 noon. For members only. There is a $2.00 daily fee. Paddles and balls are provided during the lessons.
This class runs for 8 weeks on Tuesdays & Fridays from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. The cost is $60.00 for members and $70.00 for non-members. Pay-as-you-go is $8.00. If you register to participate twice a week, the cost will be $95.00 for members, $115.00 for non-members. Instructor: Laura Lea Devine. Pilates is a method of exercise endorsed by physicians for almost a century. It has become one of today’s most sought after workouts that helps strengthen and condition muscles, reduce and eliminate back ache, dramatically improves posture, flexibility and balance as well as getting you on your way to long, lean, toned muscles and a flat stomach. Call (519) 268-2025 for more information.
Walk your way to fitness every Tuesday from 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. on the arena walking track. The cost is pay-as-you-go $2.00 for members & $4.00 for non-members.
What is Urban Poling? Urban Poling is a sport that combines the aerobic and strength building benefits of cross-country skiing with walking. This class is held in the Dorchester arena auditorium (walking track) or outside weather permitting. Urban Pole Walking is a full body, cardio-muscular exercise. Benefits include: 20-40% higher caloric expenditure for weight loss, 25% increased cardiovascular workout, highly effective for core muscle strengthening, reduced impact on knee/hip joints and increased stability & balance.
Wednesdays from 12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
New voices are always welcome in this choir. If you enjoy singing come and join this fun group every Friday from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. with Mary Kaiser as the leader/pianist.
Join the group every Wednesday from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. in the arena. It's $2.00 for members and $4.00 for non-members. It's lots of fun! For more information call (519) 268-2025.
This Instructional Community Dance Program is lead by caller Tom Charlton and runs once a month from 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. The cost is $3.00 per person, pay as you go.
Step N Out Aerobics Class
This exercise program emphasizes: Balance, Breathing, Memory skills, Muscle coordination, Improved Circulation and Awareness of the mind, body, and spirit connection. It combines Dance, Tai Chi, Core strengthening and Low Impact Aerobics, in a way that gradually gets your body moving, the way it used to. Join instructor Bev Dukes every Tuesdays from 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. in the Arena Auditorium. Pay-as-you-go $4.00 for members and $5.25 for non-members.
Stitch and Chatter Club
Join this lively, social group for a fun afternoon of crafts from 12:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.. You are welcome to quilt, sew, knit, crochet, cross stitch etc. Bring your favourite craft to work on. If you’d like to learn to quilt, there are lots of helpers here to give you a hand. You don’t have to be a pro crafter, just come out to have fun, stitch away and have a chat with the gang. (except the 1st Monday of the month when the group Sews for Cancer). The cost is $2.00 for members and $4.00 for non-members per class. The session begins May 14th. Marlene McKnight is the organizer of this class. Join “The Ragged Edge Quilters” Guild.
This class takes place every Monday from 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. with June Ross. Tai Chi is an ancient form of Chinese exercise using slow, rhythmic movements to help improve balance, breathing and help maintain a better range of motion. This 8 week course is $30.00 for members and $40.00 for non-members or $4.00/$5.25 pay-as-you-go. This class is also offered in Thorndale at the Library on Fridays from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Thorndale Senior's Group
The Thorndale seniors meet the third Wednesday of every month at 2:30 p.m. at the Thorndale Library. These "Wonderful Wednesdays" feature a guest speaker or entertainment and delicious light refreshments. For more information call 519-461-1150.